At the young ages of 12 and 15, Melanin Essentials co-founders, Olayinka Credle (left) and Saba Williams (right), used chemical relaxers to transform their naturally-coily kinks into straight, Euro-American styled hair. Over time, both experienced hair thinning, breakage, and loss as a result of excessive heat styling and chemical means. After experiencing 4+ years of stunted hair growth, Olayinka and Saba ditched the relaxers and embarked on their own natural hair journey, embracing their naturally kinky, curly hair.
In search of a product tailored for them, they began experimenting with their own homemade hair products using raw, unadulterated ingredients and stumbled upon the humble beginnings of Melanin Essentials.
Today, Olayinka and Saba are motivated to spread awareness through providing skin and body products as a healthy alternative for all skin types, and very soon their hair products to empower women of color.
Biggest Takeaways You Don't Want to Miss:
- A lot of companies claim to have ingredients that are natural even if they have less than 1% of natural ingredients
- Organic, vegan and all natural ingredients cost way more than synthetic ingredients
- Believing in Christ helps in having values, transparency, and integrity in the wellness space
- It is essential to be conscious of all of the products you are supporting including self-care products and ranging to the clothing you are buying.
Check Out These Highlights:
- The trade-off between value, quality, and cost (8:52)
- Running a business with a friend (11:05)
- Having a wellness business and being a Christian (14:20)
- The reason behind the name "Melanin Essentials" (18:40)
- Living as a minimalist (28:14)
- “We live to go with the philosophy less is more."
- "We started off using organic ingredients and that's how we’re going to finish."
- "Because I am a believer in Christ, I am challenged to help my sister and I am challenged to help her grow."
- "We are a social enterprise so making a profit doesn't go over people."
- "Price is nothing compared to quality.”