There will likely come a time when the only person who believes in the true worth of your business is you. That’s what happened to entrepreneur Kim Lewis. Kim and her husband, Tim, owners of the natural hair care product line, CurlMix, knew their company’s worth going into the popular business reality TV show, “Shark Tank.” So when they were offered a fraction of what they knew their business was worth, they declined the offer.
That singular move spoke volumes to the power of taking a chance on yourself, believing in your worth and being hopeful in what’s to come. And what came next for them — and what continues to come — is valued way more than what they were originally offered. Kim shares her insights on entrepreneurship, finances, and how she balances it all.
Biggest Takeaways You Don’t Want to Miss:
- Listening to your customers’ desires and following purchasing trends will do wonders for your business.
- When others underestimate you, it’s important for you to trust your value of yourself and your business.
- Do the hard work that no one wants to do and you’ll watch your business flourish.
Check Out These Highlights:
- Kim discusses how she made the transition to full-time employment in her own business. (3:09)
- The power of knowing your customers. (5:46)
- Kim talks about venture capital and raising money. (23:33)
- Balancing parenting and entrepreneurship. (30:40)
- “I’m black. I have to already be winning before someone is going to ride my train (and invest in me.)”
- “It’s best to raise money when you don’t need it.”
You can listen and subscribe on Apple Podcast, Google Play, Sticher or Spotify. Also, follow us @blkgrn on all social platforms and let us know what you think!